Movement is critical to all aspects of a child’s growth and development. Physical education provides unique learning opportunities for students in kindergarten through grade 12 to acquire knowledge, skills, fitness, and attitudes to enhance their quality of life through physical activity.
Physical education is an integral component of the education process. Researchers have shown that students who participate in regular physical education will enjoy enhanced memory and learning, better concentration, and increased problem-solving abilities. Regular physical education encourages a positive attitude towards self and others, which is an important factor in creating a healthy learning environment.
Quality physical education programs provide the foundation for healthy, active lifestyles that support all learning and help ensure success in future pursuits. Statistics related to chronic disease, disability and death, health care costs, and quality of life issues clearly illustrate that there are severe problems associated with attending to the intellectual but not the physical being.
A physically educated person who participates in health-enhancing physical activity:
- demonstrates competence in selected motor skills.
- assesses, achieves, and maintains physical fitness.
- applies cognitive concepts in making wise lifestyle choices.
- exhibits appropriate personal/social character traits while participating in physical activity.
A comprehensive physical education curriculum should be sequential and developmentally appropriate. Outcomes for each grade level should be identified and assessed.
Based on the Central Board of Secondary Education Policy on Quality Physical Education, in conjunction with an opportunity to learn and includes the following:
- Is aligned with the CBSE, K-12 Physical Education Content Standards and Benchmarks.
- Equips students with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary for lifelong physical activity.
- Influences personal and social skill development.
Instruction and Assessment
- Is taught by a certified physical education teachers trained in best practice physical education methods.
- Aligns curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
- Engages students in curriculum choices that prepare them for a wide variety of lifetime activities.
- Keeps all students involved in purposeful activity for a majority of the class period.
- Builds students’ confidence and competence in physical abilities.
- Includes students of all abilities and skill levels.